For Such A Time as This – October 13, 2020 – Elsie Reynolds

To the Good Folk of the Palmyra Church of the Brethren,
 
Joys and Concerns
If you have a joy or concern you would like us to share and pray about, please call, text, or email it to me.  If you would like it included in our Sunday Worship sharing and prayer time, please share it with me that week by Friday morning. 
 
Joys

  • Congratulations to Ken Jurell, proud grandfather of a baby boy, Jeb Lee Ritz, born to Jenny Jurell and Nick Ritz on October 7th.Jeb, Jenny, and Nick live in New Market, VA.
  • Congratulations to Charlie and Dianne Runkle, proud grandparents of a baby boy, Carter Timothy Runkle, born to Mark and Danielle Runkle on October 9th.Carter joins his parents and brother, Landon, in their home in Linglestown, PA.
  • Congratulation to Alex Albaugh and Ellyn Gender who will be married this Saturday, October 17th, in Ann Arbor, Michigan.Alex and Ellyn live in Chicago, Illinois.Alex is the son of Todd and Cindy Albaugh.
Concerns
  • Let us hold Brian and Angie Hepner, and their families, in prayer following the death of Brian’s father Ron “Pickle” Hepner, who passed away Sunday evening. Angie’s parents are Steve and Michele Gottshall.
Thank You:
To all who call others to check in on them and to share our emails and devotions.
 
Today’s Devotion:
I am thankful to Elsie Reynolds for providing today’s devotion.  If you wish to respond to Elsie directly, her email address is elreynoldsjr@juno.com.
 
Shalom,
Dennis
 
Scripture – Psalm 33:18-22, from The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language
Watch this: God’s eye is on those who respect him,
                the ones who are looking for his love.
He’s ready to come to their rescue in bad times;
                in lean times he keeps body and soul together.
We’re depending on God;
                He’s everything we need.
What’s more, our hearts brim with joy
                since we’ve taken for our own his holy name.
Love us, God, with all you’ve got –
                that’s what we’re depending on.
 
Thoughts
It was July 3rd and I had just finished running errands and shopping, finally getting home to put away groceries and repackage meat in serving size pieces to freeze.  Finished at last, I would relax a bit. 
 
Then I heard Lawrence trying to talk to me, but the words weren’t clear enough to understand until he yelled, “What’s the matter, don’t you have your ears (hearing aids) in?  I checked and one was missing.  I panicked.  I knew I couldn’t count on Lawrence to help me find it.  He wouldn’t be able to see it.
 
I looked all over the house – nothing; checked the garage and the car – nothing.  I prayed.  The hearing aid could have come off anytime that day when I adjusted or pulled my protective face mask down as I returned to the car.  It was late and, after getting an early start that day, the exhaustion was overwhelming. 
 
My prayers were intense.  Usually they are for others or giving thanks for blessings received.  This time I was asking for help for myself. 
 
That night sleep eventually came and in the morning, my faith restored, I calmly told my husband not to worry about the hearing aid, if it was to be found it would be at the local Farmer’s Market on Saturday.  Somehow I managed ‘til then.
 
Saturday came and I was reminded to “go find that hearing aid at the Farmer’s Market.”  I went and parked near the place I had parked the week before and began my search.  Two women wanted to help but didn’t know what a hearing aid looked like.  When I showed them the one from the other ear, it didn’t take long to search the weeds and grass there.  No luck.  Then they asked if I had asked about it at a booth that doubled as a lost and found center.  I never heard of it before, but it was worth a try.
 
Before reaching the booth, a woman called to me and I watched as she unfolded a hankie containing my precious earpiece.  As she gave it to me, she said she couldn’t accept a reward.  She only kept it safe for the owner.  She didn’t find it.  She told me she recognized me as a nurse at HMC many years ago and thought Lawrence had produced pictures that she and a doctor used for a special presentation.  She was a physical therapist.  I bought a lovely bouquet in a vase from her and was heading back to the car when she called me back.  The person who found the aid was there.  She identified herself as a former nurse’s aid at a local nursing home and knew how valuable this help could be to its owner.  She also refused a monetary reward, but beamed when she was told I had taken care of the bill for things she had selected to buy.  Such a moment of joy for everyone!
 
Was this merely a set of coincidences or a modern-day miracle?!!  To me it was an amazing way the Lord had of supplying my needs when I asked for help.  Praise the Lord!
 
Prayer
Lord, you know our hurts and hearts, joys and sorrows.  We come to you, once again, for your help and unfailing love as we face daily challenges.  Your blessings to us, given through others, are a miracle!  Lord, we celebrate your great work in our lives.  There is no one like you.  Amen.
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Such A Time as This – June 30, 2021 – Bobbi Dykema

For Such A Time As This 042120 – Judd Mellinger Blouch

For Such A Time As This 051820 – Mary And Andy Cantrell