For Such A Time As This - September 17, 2020 - Sandi Smith

To the Good Folk of the Palmyra Church of the Brethren,
 
Joys and Concerns
If you have a joy or concern you would like us to share and pray about, please call, text, or email it to me.  If you would like it included in our Sunday Worship sharing and prayer time, please share it with me that week by Friday morning.

  • Continued prayers for John Grace, as he recovers from by-pass heart surgery on Monday.
  • Prayers for those in harm’s way due to the fires on the west coast, due to the hurricane impacting the Gulf Coast, and due to the ongoing Corona Virus pandemic.
  • An update from Cindy Weatherholtz for the great nephew of a friend from work.Four-year-old Ryder has finished his first round of radiation for brain cancer.  In 4-6 weeks, they will do a CAT scan to see if it did any good.  At that point they will try a new medication that should keep things from progressing further.  Please continue to pray for Ryder and his family.
Thank You:
To all who call others to check in on them and to share our emails and devotions.
 
Today’s Devotion:
I am thankful to Sandi Smith for providing today’s devotion.  If you wish to respond to Sandi directly, her email address is tomandsandi@sandisbreads.com.
 
Shalom,
Dennis
 
Scripture - Luke 15:11-32
“My son,” the father said, “you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.  But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.”
 
Thoughts
The story of the prodigal son has always troubled me. I identified so closely with the older, more responsible son. I felt his anger was justified. As an eldest child, there is still a part of me that feels that way. However, recently for the first time I connected with verses 31-32. The older son will inherit all his father has and (not but) the father still has enough love for the younger son to celebrate his return. As a parent, I understand being frustrated with my children but celebrating their return to us – whether literally or figuratively. I certainly understand having enough love for all of them, even if one or another pushes my buttons.
 
So, my new reaction to this passage goes more like this: Wow! What a gift – to be lost and then found, brought to life – by God! He loves us so much that when we turn or return to him, he rejoices. Those who work beside Him have a share of His kingdom and those who come back to Him are celebrated. What a blessing.
 
Prayer
Father God, thank you for celebrating us. Even when we turn away, walk away, run away, we know that when we return, we will be welcomed with your blessing. Be with us now as we walk with you through our challenges.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Such A Time as This – June 30, 2021 – Bobbi Dykema

For Such A Time As This 051820 – Mary And Andy Cantrell

For Such A Time As This 042120 – Judd Mellinger Blouch