For Such A Time as This August 27, 2020 – Joy Derck

To the Good Folk of the Palmyra Church of the Brethren,
 
Joys and Concerns
If you have a joy or concern you would like us to share and pray about, please call, text or email it to me.  If you would like it included in our Sunday Worship sharing and prayer time, please share it with me that week by Friday morning.
 
A Concern:

  • Lori Faiola’s father, James Hite, is now at Lebanon Valley Home, following his recent stay at HMC.He is now in Hospice care.Please hold him, Lori, and their families in your thoughts and prayers.
Thank You: 
To all who call others to check in on them and share our emails and devotions.
 
Today’s Devotion:
I am thankful to Joy Derck for providing today’s devotion.  If you wish to respond to Joy directly, her email address is joyderck2@gmail.com
 
Shalom,
Dennis
 
Scriptures
Proverbs 26:11
 As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly.
 
Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
 
Thoughts
One Sunday at PCOB a basket of proverbs was passed around. I reached in and pulled out Proverbs 26:11. During Fellowship 30, someone asked me what I got. I told him and he said that he believed that each person got the one that was meant for them. I laughed, but the more I've thought about it, the more I've wondered if that is true. Actually, I knew almost immediately how the verse would apply in my own life - my smart phone! I keep going back to my phone to check my newsfeed, Facebook, etc. It does not usually bring joy to my life - instead, it often increases anxiety. Was I the fool repeating my folly?
 
In 2011 I gave up watching TV for Lent and found that I enjoyed having the extra time for other things, like reading and playing games with Randy. We discovered that we liked this new way of living so much that we canceled our cable and have continued life without TV ever since. But then cell phones became smart phones and wow! - we had access to a whole new world with so much information at our fingertips. I now realize that my phone is controlling me instead of me controlling my phone. What should I do?
 
I decided to take a break from the news on Sundays and am now enjoying a more peaceful Sabbath. What about Monday through Saturday? I am trying to limit my time on those days, but it hasn't been easy. Too many days I find myself acting like that dog in the proverb. 
 
How about you? Are you also finding yourself addicted to your phone? Have you found a helpful way to limit your time?
 
Prayer
Help, Lord! I find myself so distracted some days and focusing on things that lead away from your peace. Guide me in the fruit of self-discipline and help me to think about those things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and worthy of praise. May it be so.
 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Such A Time as This – June 30, 2021 – Bobbi Dykema

For Such A Time As This 042120 – Judd Mellinger Blouch

For Such A Time As This 051820 – Mary And Andy Cantrell