For Such A Time as This: August 20, 2020 - Dennis Lohr

To the Good Folk of the Palmyra Church of the Brethren,
 
Joys and Concerns
If you have a joy or concern you would like us to share and pray about, please call, text or email it to me.  If you would like it included in our Sunday Worship sharing and prayer time, please share it with me that week by Friday morning.
 
A Concern:

  • Julie Bucher asks for prayers for a personal challenge.
A Joy
  • Jan and Paul Wessel became grandparents again with the birth of a grandson, Griffin Timothy Stokes, on Sunday, August 16, to parents Anne and Tim Stokes.          
Thank You: 
To all who call others to check in on them and share our emails and devotions.
 
Today’s Devotion:
I got distracted on Tuesday and missed sending out the devotion.  I have written today’s devotion.  I hope you feel the gratitude!
 
Shalom,
Dennis
 
Scripture – Romans 12:9-21
Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honor. Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are. Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.’ No, ‘if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads.’ Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
 
Thoughts
I like scripture readings like the one above.  They challenge me and guide me.  They call me to be more and better than I might otherwise be.  I like Jesus instructions in the Sermon on the Mount.  I like Paul’s Gifts of the Spirit and Clothe Yourselves in Christ lists.  I like the simple definitions of faith and faithful living in the letter of James.  In two Sundays I will be preaching from the Ten Commandments, in a sermon titled simply, “Rules to Live By.”  I like Jesus’ summary of all the laws and the prophets, “Love God with all your heart, soul, mind and spirit, and love your neighbor as yourself.”  I like the Golden Rule, “Do to others as you would like them to do to you.”  These simple and profound instructions challenge me and guide me – not that I can always live up to them.
 
But every now and then something happens that demonstrates how much my life is blessed by others who live into these values every day.  That’s what happened for me yesterday, on my 59th birthday.  This morning as I pondered all the efforts made to wish me a “happy birthday,” I thought, how blessed I am to live among folk whose love is genuine, who love one another, and who show their love in incredible ways.  Thank you!  You preach good news to our world every day by the gentle, but powerful, ways that you live your faith.  God bless you all!
 
Prayer
Inspiring God, thank you for all the blessings we receive because you inspire others toward love, generosity, kindness and grace.  Having received, may we be so inspired.  Amen. 

 
 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Such A Time as This – June 30, 2021 – Bobbi Dykema

For Such A Time As This 042120 – Judd Mellinger Blouch

For Such A Time as This – June 9, 2021 – Becky Zapata