For Such A Time as This September 8, 2020 – Sandi Smith

To the Good Folk of the Palmyra Church of the Brethren,
 
Joys and Concerns
If you have a joy or concern you would like us to share and pray about, please call, text or email it to me.  If you would like it included in our Sunday Worship sharing and prayer time, please share it with me that week by Friday morning.
 
Thank You: 
To all who call others to check in on them and share our emails and devotions.
 
Today’s Devotion:
I am thankful to Sandi Smith for providing today’s devotion.  If you wish to respond to Sandi directly, her email address is tomandsandi@sandisbreads.com.  
 
Shalom,
Dennis
 
Scripture – Romans 8:14
For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.
 
Thoughts
What does it mean to be led by the Spirit? What does it mean to be a child of God?
 
When our children were young and were trying to make decisions or navigate situations, I would encourage them to follow their instincts. I would tell them to listen for the still small voice, for that was the voice of God guiding them. I still believe that. I truly believe that God speaks to us in times of need – if we are able to listen.
 
Someone recently asked me what Spirit felt like to me. Interestingly, I realized that I have very distinct impressions of concepts of Father, Spirit, and Son. My sense of spirit is akin to the feeling of meeting your newborn in those first few moments. It’s an almost overwhelming joy. At times, I sense that as a physical response – any tightness in my chest dissipates and I can feel my heartbeat. I feel as if a weight is being lifted from my shoulders.
 
So, if to be led by the spirit feels freeing and joyful, what does it feel like to be a child of God? Can we take that joy and combine it with the security we might feel in the protective embrace of a loved one? To me, that is that it feels like to be a child of God.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, help us to hear your still small voice. Give us the sensation of your loving, comforting presence as we navigate trying times. And please show us how to share with others what it can mean to be a child of yours.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Such A Time as This – June 30, 2021 – Bobbi Dykema

For Such A Time As This 042120 – Judd Mellinger Blouch

For Such A Time As This 051820 – Mary And Andy Cantrell