For Such A Time as This – October 1, 2020 – Dennis Lohr

To the Good Folk of the Palmyra Church of the Brethren,

Joys and Concerns
If you have a
joy or concern you would like us to share and pray about, please call, text, or email it to me.  If you would like it included in our Sunday Worship sharing and prayer time, please share it with me that week by Friday morning. 
 
Thank You:
To all who call others to check in on them and to share our emails and devotions.
 
Today’s Devotion:
I have written today’s devotion.  I hope it encourages you.
 
Shalom,
Dennis
 
Scripture – Exodus 3:11-12a
But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”  God said, “I will be with you.”
 
Thoughts
Unlike often portrayed in the movies, Moses was not an eloquent speaker.  He could not imagine God sending him to talk to the Pharaoh of Egypt.  Not to mention that Moses, raised in Pharaoh’s palace, had fled Egypt in fear of his life.  Moses had deep doubts and real reluctance. 
 
I don’t know a single person who has encountered God in the form of a bush that was on fire but not burned up.  So, it might be a little harder for us to know if God has a special mission for us.  And yet the Spirit stirs deep in our souls, urging us toward tasks that we might not feel equipped to do, or might not be convenient.  I believe God does nudge us through holy moments, divine coincidences, the reading of scripture, the singing of songs and hymns, and the call of the gathered community of faith.
 
What stands out to me in this story about Moses is God’s promise, “I will be with you.”  Perhaps that’s what Paul was testifying to when he offered this blessing of encouragement:
 
“Now to him who by the power at work within us  is able to accomplish far more than we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, now and forever.  Amen.”
 
Prayer
Send me now, O Lord, into the world to accomplish all you have assigned to me.  Let me live and work without fear or timidity.  Amen. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Such A Time as This – June 30, 2021 – Bobbi Dykema

For Such A Time As This 042120 – Judd Mellinger Blouch

For Such A Time as This – June 9, 2021 – Becky Zapata