For Such A Time As This - September 10, 2020 Dennis Lohr

To the Good Folk of the Palmyra Church of the Brethren,

Joys and Concerns

If you have a joy or concern you would like us to share and pray about, please call, text or email it to me.  If you would like it included in our Sunday Worship sharing and prayer time, please share it with me that week by Friday morning.

Prayers for John Grace who is anticipating quadruple bypass heart surgery on Monday at HMC.  He remains a patient there until the surgery and initial recovery is complete, and then some additional recovery time is anticipated in an area rehab facility.  John asks for his wife Carol to be included in our prayers. 

Thank You: 

To all who call others to check in on them and share our emails and devotions.

Today’s Devotion:

I have written today’s devotion.  I hope it blesses you!

Shalom, Dennis

Scripture – Psalm 139:1-6 (KJV)

O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.

Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

Thoughts

It’s a long story as to why, but I have spent some devotional time this week reading hymn texts from the 1901 Brethren Hymnal.  It’s the Brethren Hymnal that uses shape notes to guide the singing of those who could not read music at the time.  The hymnal is described as “a collection of psalms, hymns and spiritual songs,” a reference, I assume, to Ephesians 5:19 and Colossians 3:16.  Hymnals provide a record of how people think about their faith denominationally and historically.  How did the Brethren, for instance, think about God at the beginning of the 20th century?  How is that the same or different than how we think, talk, and sing about God today?  What can we learn from their musical testimony of faith?

I have been captivated by the opening hymn of the 1901 Brethren Hymnal.  It is a simple affirmation of God’s presence and goodness.  It is titled “Thy Gracious Power,” with words written by J. Thompson and music composed by George B. Holsinger.  The scripture referenced for the hymn is the text printed above.  It is in the King James Version as that was the version used by the Brethren in 1901.  Today, I invite you to read slowly and ponder deeply this testimony from over one hundred years ago.

Thy Gracious Power

Jehovah God! Thy gracious pow’r on every hand we see;

Oh, may the blessings of each hour lead all our thoughts to thee.

Thy pow’r is in the ocean deep, and reaches to the skies;

Thine eye of mercy never sleeps, thy goodness never dies.

 

From morn till noon, till latest eve, the hand of God we see;

And all the blessings we receive ceaseless proceed from thee.

In all the varying scenes of time, on thee our hopes depend;

In every age, in every clime, our Father and our Friend.

 

I was curious, too.  Clime is short for climate or region.  I am tempted to take the time and make the effort to memorize these words.  If I did, I suspect that from time to time these words would come to mind - inspiring, supporting and sustaining my understanding of God and guiding my faith.

Prayer

Thank you, Lord, for the testimony of faith that transcends space and time.  Thank you, Lord, for your presence in what has already been, what is today, and what is yet to come.  Amen.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Such A Time as This – June 30, 2021 – Bobbi Dykema

For Such A Time As This 051820 – Mary And Andy Cantrell

For Such A Time As This 042120 – Judd Mellinger Blouch