For Such A Time as This June 22, 2020 – Karen Haldeman

To the Good Folk of the Palmyra Church of the Brethren,

Joys and Concerns

If you have a joy or concern you would like us to share and pray about, please call, text or email it to me.  If you would like it included in our Sunday Worship sharing and prayer time, please share it with me that week by Friday morning.

Thank You: 

To all who call others to check in on them and share our emails and devotions.

Today’s Devotion:

I am thankful to Karen Haldeman for providing today’s devotion.  If you wish to respond to Karen directly, her email address is kbhaldeman@verizon.net. 

Shalom, Dennis

Scripture - Colossians 1:17 CEB)

“He (Christ) existed before all things, and all things are held together in him.” 

Thoughts

I write these thoughts in the early morning hours of June 20, one day after Juneteenth (a day commemorating the emancipation of enslaved people) and the morning of a large political campaign event in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  I have family who live in Tulsa, a city which saw a massacre of black residents a century ago and which is currently experiencing a spike of reported COVID cases.  My family members are a bit frightened.

As I prayed for my family this morning, I was reminded of a spiritual practice called “encircling prayer,” or caim.  This is an ancient Celtic practice of drawing an imaginary circle around oneself as a reminder of God’s presence and protection, especially during difficult times. This morning, I drew several circles as I prayed: one around my family members, one for the city of Tulsa, one for the African American communities around us, and one for our country which is in the grip of fear, division, and upheaval.

My morning prayers alone may not prevent violence at the campaign event today, or heal racial divisions quickly, or protect us all from getting sick.  But if God answers my prayer by reminding my family members of his presence and protection for them, perhaps they will be able to share that with their neighbors, who will continue to pass it on, and on.

Prayer

I invite you to try this simple prayer practice today.  Stand and slowly turn clockwise, extending your right index finger toward the ground, drawing an imaginary circle which creates a protective enclosure.  (You can also do this in your imagination if you are unable to stand.)  As you slowly turn, try praying this prayer, excerpted from the song “Circle Me, God” written by Sherri Hansen.

Circle me, God, keep fear without, keep joy within.

Circle me, God, keep doubt without, keep hope within.

Circle me, God, keep evil out, keep peace within.

Circle me, God, keep darkness out, keep light within.

Circle me, God, keep hate without, keep love within.

May it be so.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Such A Time as This – June 30, 2021 – Bobbi Dykema

For Such A Time As This 042120 – Judd Mellinger Blouch

For Such A Time As This 051820 – Mary And Andy Cantrell