For Such A Time as This June 19, 2020 – Joy Derck

To the Good Folk of the Palmyra Church of the Brethren,

Joys and Concerns

If you have a joy or concern you would like us to share and pray about, please call, text or email it to me.  If you would like it included in our Sunday Worship sharing and prayer time, please share it with me that week by Friday morning.

A A Joy - congratulations to Cindy Rogers, who became a grandmother on May 24, when her daughter Katie and Katie’s husband Jeremy Rice, welcomed their first child, Leah Elizabeth Rice.  Leah was 8.0 lbs, 20 in.  They are all doing well.

Thank You:

To all who call others to check in on them and share our emails and devotions.

Today’s Devotion

I am thankful to Joy Derck for providing today’s devotion.  If you wish to respond to Joy directly, her email address is joyderck2@gmail.com. 

Shalom, Dennis

Scripture - Psalm 119:105

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. 

Thoughts

I woke up this morning with this verse in my head, followed quickly by Amy Grant's song:

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path (2X)

When I feel afraid 

Think I've lost my way

Still you're there right beside me

And nothing will I fear 

As long as you are near

Please be near me to the end

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

I am so thankful for all of the Bible verses and songs that I learned throughout my life as they seem to come to my mind when I need them. Recently, the Psalms have been especially meaningful. For several years, I've been reading one psalm every day (or one stanza when I get to Psalm 119.) I find this practice cathartic as it poetically gives words to the feelings within me. It helps me to express to God my own emotions of love, sorrow, rage, compassion, pain, disappointment, fear, hope. 

Psalm 46 has become a favorite, so I've memorized it and recite it almost every day. It begins with, "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble," which reminds me that I am secure in God. Verse 10 states, "Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." This reassures me that God's kingdom is here and is coming. I can be at peace and trust God because it truly will work out in the end. As our friend, Heather, says, "Don't worry. God's got this!"

Prayer

This is my paraphrase of the 23rd psalm:

My Shepherd,

You watch over me, guide me, and take care of me. I have everything I need. You give me peaceful rest. You rejuvenate me. You make my soul new again. You guide me to do right, which brings glory to you. Though everything crashes down around me, I won't be afraid - You're here! Your guiding hand will calm me. In the midst of evil, you provide all that I need. You pour out Your Spirit on me and I am filled with joy. Your goodness and love will be with me always and I will live with you forever.

I love you, Lord!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Such A Time as This – June 30, 2021 – Bobbi Dykema

For Such A Time As This 042120 – Judd Mellinger Blouch

For Such A Time As This 051820 – Mary And Andy Cantrell