For Such A Time As This 042120 – Judd Mellinger Blouch

To the Good Folk of the Palmyra Church of the Brethren, 

Did you know that our leaders, teams and staff are continuing to meet, even though we can’t get together physically?  The ministries and business of our church are being handled through phone calls, conference calls, mail, emails, video meetings, various social media, etc. Occasionally, a few must gather to record the various pieces of our services, while observing safety protocols. Tonight, our Board will meet via ZOOM technology. Please hold our leaders, and our congregation, in prayer as we continue to discern, imagine, plan, care and serve together. 

A Little Humor 

Recently the Trotwood Church of the Brethren in Ohio observed their annual “Holy Humor Sunday.”  Here are a few of my favorites from their “Together in Quarantine” list. 

  • This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat.  It was obvious she thought her cat understood her.  I came into the house and told my dog......we laughed a lot. 

  • I need to practice social distancing from the refrigerator. 

  • I'm so excited.....it's time to take out the garbage.  What should I wear? 

  • Day 6 of home schooling.  My kid just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year"......I'm offended. 

Joys, Concerns and Prayers 

If you have a joy or concern you would like us to share and pray about, please call, text or email it to me.  If you would like it included in our Sunday Worship sharing and prayer time, please share it with me that week by Friday morning. 

Let’s Do the Wave Video Extended Invitation: 

Contact Bethany at bhoffer@palmyracob.org or call/text 937-417-5938 if want to be included in an updated video that will be released in about one week.  We would love to see you! Join the fun!! 

Thank You:   

To all who call others to check in on them and share our emails and devotions. 

Today’s Devotion: 

I am thankful to Judd Mellinger-Blouch for providing today’s devotion. With characteristic humor and candor, Judd reminds us of God’s unfailing presence. If you wish to respond to Judd directly, his email address is juddmb@gmail.com.    

Shalom, 

Dennis 

 

Scripture – Psalm 139: 7-12  

(King James Version because the Psalms are more poetic when the verbs endeth in “eth.” - Judd) 

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? 
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. 

Thoughts: 

God doesn’t have far to go to find me. I am not going as far as heaven and hell these days. If the interpreters who composed the King James Version were to write Verse 8 using my current state of affairs, it might read:  

If I ascendeth up into my bedroom, thou art there: if I goeth to my office, behold, thou art there, but my office is in the corner of my bedroom so thou hath not far to go. 

I spend my workdays in front of my laptop computer like so many other remote workers. This is not my norm. I usually work in an office with a dozen colleagues and I often travel around the state speaking to doctors, dentists, nurses, and students in those fields. In short, my days are usually full of other people, which fits perfectly with my outgoing personality. 

Even though I am not going far physically, I have gone into new and somewhat anxious places emotionally. In this emotional state, it has been difficult at times to find God there. Extroverts are energized by interactions with others. Teleconferences and Zoom are insufficient replacements for sitting across from another person or a room full of people, seeing them, sensing them, hearing them in all of their actions and reactions.  

I may be having problems finding God in these circumstances, but God has no problem finding me. Whether I’m safely in my home or garden, or going for a run, or covering up to go to the grocery store, God is there. Just where I always need God to be. 

Prayer 

God of grace, we thank you for your unfailing presence in our lives. When we feel distant from you, draw us near. Find us when we are cowering in a corner or wandering away in wide open spaces. Sit down with us. Walk beside us. And remind us that you are there. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Such A Time as This – June 30, 2021 – Bobbi Dykema

For Such A Time As This 051820 – Mary And Andy Cantrell