"For Such A Time As This” - PCOB Announcement And Devotion For 3/27/2020

To the Good Folk of the Palmyra Church of the Brethren,

Sunday morning, around 8am, you will receive an email with a link to this Sunday's worship service.  The service has been prerecorded this week, and continues our Lenten journey "Guided by Women," with the sermon by Audrey Finkbiner.  Many will remember Audrey as our former Pastor of Congregational Care.  Once again, this service speaks to our current situation with the coronavirus.  We hope it will be a blessing to all.

Today’s devotion is a poem of gratitude written by Rachel Witkovsky, inspired by Jan Wessel’s reflections on last Sunday’s worship service.   Thank you to Rachel for writing and sharing this with us.  If you wish to respond to Rachel directly, her email address is rwitkovsky@palmyracob.org.
 
Scripture – Psalm 122:1 and Psalm 111:1-2
I was glad when they said to me,
   ‘Let us go to the house of the Lord!’
Praise the Lord!
I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,
   in the company of the upright, in the congregation.
2 Great are the works of the Lord,
   studied by all who delight in them.
 
Poem: Away From Home
Our new normal is uncertainty
Our new normal is anxiety
It’s confusion
And it’s fear
 
But there is still hope
Even if we can’t feel it yet
There is still community
Even if we can’t touch it
 
Our rituals have changed
But we remain connected
 
The words of our leaders
Support us
The notes of the hymns
Encourage us
 
But to see my home
My home away from home
The sanctuary
That holy place
Even through a small screen
Fills me up
Sustains me
 
I watch the bells ringing
Hear the piano singing
Filling that forgotten space
With light and love
 
I look through my screen
around the sanctuary
at the emptiness
and appreciate, in an unexpected way,
my church home
 
I can see the memories
Of those seated in the now vacant choir chairs
I can see their faces
I hear their voices
Softly, tenderly, and rising in song
 
The guitar rests, forgotten, in the chancel area
But as I watch
My memory brings it back to life
The sound of the strings
And a voice strong and clear
Praising our God 
Our awesome God
 
The pulpit stands empty
But my mind’s eye fills it with faces of our leaders
Words of question
And words of promise
float in from the past
 
I see moments of our life together in every corner
Memories of windowsills filled with Easter flowers
Christmas candles placed on the altar
Canned goods donated for Harvest time
Empty hallways filled with beautiful murals and children’s laughter echoing through them
 
I see the empty spaces
But I don’t feel sadness
I am warmed by the memories of this place
I can see the love of the past filling these spaces
And I am given hope of what will surely be there again
 
Most Sundays, I would walk right past these moments
These places
But today, seeing them through a new perspective
 
I become conscious of them
in an unexpectedly
comforting way
 
Through a small screen
I am reminded of my community
Of my God
Of my family
Of my home
 
Because of who we are
Because of what we do
Through the good times
The bad times
The crazy and scary times
We learn over and over again
Through new ways of worship
And new ways of interaction
To hold each other close
And find our way home once again
 
Prayer
Thank you, Lord!  Amen.
 
Reminder:
If you know someone who does not have email, please call them and offer to read this email to them and share this devotion with them.  And, check in on how they are doing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Such A Time as This – June 30, 2021 – Bobbi Dykema

For Such A Time As This 042120 – Judd Mellinger Blouch

For Such A Time As This 051820 – Mary And Andy Cantrell